Sunday, December 7, 2014

Cranberry-Orange Bread


This recipe originally came from here. I, however, did not have Chobani yogurt on hand, so I used Dannon Oikos 0% Fat Plain. Shhhhh.... don't tell.

I could eat this bread all day. Not too sweet, the crunch of nuts, and tanginess of fresh cranberries... yum-o!

The recipe calls for 3/4 c. orange juice. I decided to use some {oldish} cuties (clementines) that were starting to dry up a bit. I'm all for using what you have and trying not to waste. I knew nobody was going to eat those cuties (they hadn't been the yummiest from the get-go, which was disappointing), and figured baking with them was the perfect economical solution. You certainly could use delicious fresh, flavorful oranges, or even orange juice made from concentrate.

I used only the peel from a couple of the better looking cuties (clementines), then supplemented with McCormick dried orange peel.


I just have to say that I was baking at the perfect time of day. I love it when the sunlight shines into the kitchen, and loved how it was reflecting off of my bowl as I was mixing and snapping a few pics.


As I was grabbing a loaf pan, this little baby caught my eye. Remember the old Corningware? With the blue flowers? I inherited this {vintage} dish from my Grandma G, so I fondly thought of her as I baked.

(Can you see Jack lounging in the sunlight by the glass door? He was loving it, too.)


MY FAVORITE CRANBERRY BREAD

2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup orange juice
1 Tbs. orange zest (or dried orange peel... or a combination)
1-1/2 cups fresh whole cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, sugar, egg, and orange juice. Stir in the flour mixture, then gently stir in cranberries and walnuts.

Put into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan to cool. Slice and serve.

Sooooo yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment