Sunday, May 24, 2015

Mixed Berry Muffins {YUM}


I made a batch of these today. They are some of my favorite muffins. Sometimes I try to make them "healthier" by adding a little whole wheat flour, or reducing the oil and sugar, but today I just made the regular ol' recipe. I figure they aren't too bad anyway, with all those berries - and the fiber from those berries - right? Most times (okay, every time) I use frozen berries - if I'm spending my moo-lah on fresh berries, I usually don't bake them! This particular mix is blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries.


Tina's Favorite Mixed Berry Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola or light olive oil)
2 large eggs
1-1/3 cup fresh (or frozen) berries, such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, huckleberries, or sliced strawberries - or a combination

Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees. I use dark pans, so I bake at 375.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to combine. In another med. bowl whisk the milk, oil and eggs. Pour into dry mixture and stir with a spoon just until blended. Fold in berries. Spoon equal amounts of the batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full (this batch size usually makes about 15 muffins unless I overfill a bit, then it makes 12).

Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. (Because I use frozen berries, I bake closer to the 20 minute time-frame). Cool in pan for 5 minutes (or not - because I use paper liners, I usually take them out right away). Remove from pan and serve warm, or cool on a wire rack.

Side note: These are my very favorite paper liners. Absolutely all-time favorite. I get them at Target, and stock up frequently because I'm afraid they'll suddenly stop carrying them. Get some.

No comments:

Post a Comment